Grill On The Go: Backpack Recipes for Beyond the Backyard
For as long as you can remember, granola bars and trail mix have been your go-to snacks for outdoor adventures.
They’ve fueled your hikes and appeared at campouts a many, all while keeping your pack light. That’s all well and good, but we’ve got something to say about that— Trail Mix Shmail Mix.
Today, we’re doing away with everything you know about on-the-go snacks. We’re here to show you how to pack light and eat big with a pair of grill recipes that taste great, call for few ingredients, and fuel your fire for grilling wherever your adventure takes you.
Pack a bag, Nexgrillers. We are now leaving the backyard.
Whether you’re at home or on the road, every truly awesome day starts with a hearty breakfast. Do yours on the grill with the highly mobile, highly tasty Fortress Frittata.
5 minutes to prep / 30 minutes to cook / Serves 2-4
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 6 eggs, pre-scrambled
- 1 onion
- ½ zucchini
- ½ chopped or diced tomato
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. grated cheese of choice (we like gruyere)
When You’re Ready to Grill, Follow These Steps:
- On your Nexgrill Fortress, heat oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add onion, zucchini, and tomatoes and sauté until the vegetables are tender. Should be about 10 minutes.
- Pour pre-scrambled eggs evenly over vegetables.
- Sprinkle grated cheese over the top. Cover skillet with a lid.
- Cook over medium heat until eggs set in the middle. Anywhere from 10-20 minutes.
- Once cooked through, remove from heat, cut into slices, and scarf.
Grilled Zucchini Spears with Lemon Salt
It’s mid-afternoon and hunger strikes again. Not to worry. You brought a snack—and surprise, surprise—it ain’t beef jerky. These zucchini spears taste awesome and should hold you over for the rest of the day.
30 minutes to prep (ahead of time) / 12 minutes to grill / Serves Up To 8
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 6 medium zucchini, whole
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 whole lemons, zested
Let’s Prep Ahead of Time:
- Lop off tops and bottoms of zucchini and slice into quarters lengthwise.
- Place zucchini spears in large (or two regular) sealable plastic bags. Drizzle in olive oil, 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. pepper, 1 tbsp. lemon zest and lots of lemon juice. 2 lemons should do it.
- Seal the bags and work marinade around zucchini spears.
- Pack sealed baggies and off you go. They’ll be ready to grill whenever you are.
Fire up your Fortress & Follow These Steps:
- Preheat grill for 5-10 minutes at medium to medium-low heat.
- Grill zucchini spears until tender and beginning to brown. 4 minutes per side should be plenty.
- Once done, remove spears from grill, let cool, and enjoy.
That was easy.
We know the backyard is your go-to gathering ground. Heck, we grill in our backyards all the time. But to keep grilling fresh, we urge you to seek out new grilling experiences, whether that’s with new food, people, or environments.
Get out there and explore, Nexgrillers—and leave the mixed nuts for the unadventurous.
We hope these recipes serve you well out on the trail. Be sure to share your creations and let us know what you’re up to using #HungryForDifferent.
Let’s be friends!
If you don’t already, follow us on social media and fill us in on all your grilling adventures using #HungryForDifferent. We promise to keep you up to date with all our latest grill tips, stories, recipes, and more—everything you need to stay satisfied between cookouts.