Bacon Apple Pie
Recipe - No. 21
1 Hr. 15 Min.
Behind the Recipe
I Read Somewhere Abe Lincoln Liked Bacon & Apples
And that intrigued me. Because what’s a guy like Lincoln weigh? 185? 190 lbs? For his height and frame, that’s amazing!
And that got me thinking… If Honest Abe can trim down to a buck-eighty eating bacon and apples, why can’t I? So a few days go by, and I get to horsing around in the kitchen one evening, when I was struck by this thought… maybe the most American thought I ever had… maybe the most American thought anyone has ever had… Bacon. Apple. Pie. On the grill.
And look, I’m not saying it belongs in your diet, but I dare say our 16th President would be proud.
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
- ¾ cup packed-in brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 cups granny smith apples (1 ½ -2 lbs. of apples peeled and sliced in ½ inch widths.)
- 8-12 slices applewood smoked bacon
- Place pie shell on baking sheet and set aside.
- In a large bowl, blend the brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom and cloves together with your fingertips.
- Add in apples and toss in mixture to coat.
- Place coated apple slices into the pie shell (including any sugar and juices that have accumulated in the bowl).
- Weave the uncooked bacon on top of the pie filling, starting from the center and working your way out to the edges. Weave in an over-under pattern with 5 pieces going vertically and five pieces going horizontally.
- Trim the edges and pinch the crust to seal the filling in.
Preheat the grill to 350 degrees, and prep for indirect heat. If you have a 4-burner, ignite the two outside burners, leaving an area in the center of the grill for indirect heat. If you have fewer than 4 burners, use only one of the outside burners, leaving an area for indirect heat.
Place on grill over indirect heat and let cook for 1 hour 15 minutes (checking periodically) until golden brown and bacon is crisp.
Allow pie to cool for 1 hour before serving.