Grilled Strawberry Cucumber Salad
Recipe - No. 32
Behind the Recipe
Gotta Love A Little Char On Your Fruits & Veggies
What is it about grill marks that make pretty much every food look amazing? When you see them on a steak, or a piece of chicken, or even a slice of pineapple, your mouth just starts to water.
If you enjoy seeing food on your plate with some beautiful grill marks, you’re going to love this ultra easy recipe for grilled strawberry and cucumber salad. It has that perfect combination of taste plus presentation that everyone at the table will enjoy. And when the heat from your grill touches those strawberries, it creates an amazing reaction that caramelizes the natural sugars within the fruit, giving them an even sweeter, richer, deeper flavor.
Nothing says “I’m way into grilling” like pulling skewers of fresh strawberries off a hot grill, and if you really want to go above and beyond, we recommend making a few extra skewers to pair with some ice cream for dessert.
- For the Dressing:
- 4 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp white/golden balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 tsp agave nectar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- For the Salad:
- ¾ lbs. fresh strawberries
- 1 large cucumber, sliced into rounds
- 8 c mixed greens
- ¼ c roughly chopped walnuts
- 4 wedges of blue cheese
- Wooden skewers
- In a small bowl–or better yet, a mason jar with a lid–mix together all of the ingredients for the dressing until well combined, and set aside.
- Preheat your Nexgrill to medium high.
- Next, soak and wash your strawberries thoroughly, and pat them dry.
- Trim off the green tops from your strawberries, and thread them onto wooden skewers.
- Then, take a basting brush, and brush the all sides of the strawberries with some of the dressing until they’re lightly and evenly coated.
- Repeat Step 5 for your cucumber slices.
Place your strawberry skewers directly onto the grate, and cook for 8 minutes, rotating once halfway through. The strawberries will become slightly softer, and begin to display some beautiful grill marks on their surface.
Place your cucumber slices on the grill, and cook 1-2 minutes per side until slightly softened, and you start to see grill marks.
Remove all strawberries and cucumber slices from the grill, and place onto a clean plate to cool.
Place the mixed greens into a serving bowl and toss with as much or as little dressing as you prefer.
Add the walnuts and grilled cucumber slices, and toss gently to combine.
Divide the salad between four dishes, and top with a skewer of grilled strawberries and a wedge of blue cheese.
Serve immediately and enjoy!