Smoked Queso Dip
Behind the Recipe
The One That Brings Everyone to Their Feet
You know that feeling when you’re grilling outside with friends and you announce “Food’s ready–let’s eat”, and everyone hesitates for a slight moment? Like some polite, embarrassed standoff to see who’s going to fill their plate first?
Yeah. No. Not with this smoked queso dip recipe.
This is the smoked queso dip recipe you want when you want everyone to jump to their feet, because this is the smoked queso dip that everyone can agree on. Put it over nachos, on top of burgers, on tacos and burritos… eat it with a spoon for crying out loud. Queso is the ultimate crowd-pleaser, and adding a little touch of smoke adds depth to its flavor.
We invite you to put your own spin on this recipe. In the meantime, here’s a few ideas for how to adjust this smoked queso dip to your liking:
- Sub in a different meat like shredded chicken, ground beef or chorizo
- Go heavy on the jalapenos for a spicier result
- Try a variety of peppers like banana peppers or chipotle peppers
- Make your own pico de gallo instead of rotel
- Use cream of mushroom instead of the milk
- 2 lb Queso Blanco Velveeta, cubed
- 2 lbs hot ground sausage, browned
- 8 oz shredded Mexican Cheese
- 2 10 oz cans Rotel
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 c milk
- 1 c flavored wood chips
- Soak your wood chips in water 30 minutes before cooking.
- Preheat your Nexgrill to 250º.
- Brown the ground sausage in a skillet until it’s fully cooked.
- Cut the Velveeta cheese into small cubes.
- Place all ingredients into a cast iron skillet.
Add your soaked wood chips into the grill–If you’re cooking with charcoal, you can place directly onto the hot coals. If you’re cooking with gas, place chips in a smoker box or other safe container.
Place the cast iron skillet onto your grill for 45 min. to 1 hour until melted.
Give it a stir & serve!